11 April 2009

I Adore You [Song of Suicide #1]

Right... this place is full of weed now (Not those that Obama and many of you smoked, i am just talking about those that just come from nowhere). Suddenly the mood for some writing exercise is coming back, so I guess its time for some clean up and revive this place... for a while maybe.

Actually, There is nothing in my mind that I really want to write about, I just have this urge for a bit of writing. In that case, I guess I will just write about a song that I love recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPAcnWQSzLY

Never mind the Volvo car(I do think that Volvo is getting better, not as old guy's tank as they used to look), the background music is what captured my attention. The song is "I Adore You" by Melpo Mene. I am not too sure about how the song relate to the car, but surely Volvo wouldn't mind there are more people "adore" their car or even better their brand. I guess the main connection would be that both of them are from Sweden. Volvo is a Swedish car maker, while Melpo Mene is a swedish indie pop band lead by Erik Mattiasson from Stockholm.

Back to the song itself, in my opinion the music is soft, calm and somehow upbeat. It is quite a comfortable song, kind of like a lullaby, especially with the sleepy voice of Erik Mattiasson(I guess it is him doing the vocal? right?). However there are saying that this song is actually about death or maybe even suicide.

Here comes the beautiful MV of the full song and the lyric,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWi7Vfc3Sxw

Lost in a daydream of blue
I feel so free
And then it's like I fall from the sky
Everything that I see is you
And you should know that
I'm thinking about what you said
When you held my hand

Oh, I adore you

Now we are older and things disappeared somehow
And I was thinking that maybe
We'd stand better chance if we met today
I find myself talking to sharks
On my way to an island, and still

I adore you

I was young, I was old
And we were in, we were out
I wanna see, I wanna see it all
I wanna die, I wanna die
Sweetheart, sweetheart
I thought I saw
I thought I saw a light
I see it now, I see it now


From the lyric, I guess its understandable why some people think that it is about death or suicide. In fact, the last part of the song is very similar to the way many movies or any other medium depict the experience of death. "I was young, I was old" hints the quick flashback of ones life. Then "I thought I saw a light... I see it now" is a common depiction of what one sees during the final moment. And for myself, I do think that it is a song about suicide for love.

Music and art are always subjective, always up to individual interpretation, you don't have to agree with this suicidal kind of interpretation. However I just find it to be more interesting this way, and there is something funny and odd when a song of suicide is related to an auto company that emphasize in safety.

No comments: