7 August 2011

Song of the Week, 2011-031, Vltava, Bedřich Smetana



When I heard it in the movie "The Tree of Life", it sounded very familiar and I tried real hard to recall its name and its composer. But I really had no idea, as the movie went on, I just gave up. Finally, I tracked it down and found this brilliant version.

However, I still have no idea why it sounds familiar to me.

The great thing about this masterpiece is that the Czech composer, Bedřich Smetana, was completely deaf when he composed Má vlast Vltava. It is very hard to imagine how this could be done. I guess for these musical genius, music do not live with them, but live in them, that way music is truly everywhere in their life.

On a side note, when I was looking for this piece of music on youtube, I stumbled upon this brilliant Czech Beer advertisement.



English Translation of the ad:

- I can't write a national song, because I can't hear anything.
- But master...
- I CAN'T HEAR... a pen!
- "My Country" by Bedrich Smetana
- Go away!
- Pilsner Urquell inspiration taste.

No comments: