24 July 2011

Song of the Week, 2011-029, Just a Boy, Angus & Julia Stone



"Love is not a habit, a commitment, or a debt. It isn't romantic songs tell us it is - love simply is... No definitions. Love and don't ask too many questions. Just love." (Coelho 2006: 258)

"You say you'd love to travel, but you misuse the word love. Love is a relationship between people. Your one desire is for the harvest to be a good one, and that's why you've decided to love the earth. More nonsense: love isn't desire or knowledge or admiration. It's a challenge, it's an invisible fire." (Coelho 2006: 183)

"It can not be desired because it is an end in itself. It cannot betray because it has nothing to do with possession. It cannot be held prisoner because it is a river and will overflow its banks. Anyone who tries to imprison love will cut off the spring that feeds it, and the trapped water will grow stagnant and rank." (Coelho 2006: 196)

"After all, what is happiness? Love, they tell me. But love doesn't bring and never has brought happiness. On the contrary, it's a constant state of anxiety, a battlefield; it's sleepless nights, asking ourselves all the time if we're doing the right thing. Real love is composed of ecstasy and agony." (Coelho 2006: 129)

"According to the Lebanese poet Khalil Gibran, it was more important to give than to receive, but while these were wise words, I was part of what is known as "humanity," with my frailties, my moments of indecision, my desire simply to live in peace, to be the slave of my feelings and to surrender myself without asking any questions ........." (Coelho 2006: 243)

I take each step with courage and fear
Did I say I am just a boy

No comments: